Access statement for Trehyddion Longbarn
If you have any queries please contact the owner
• Nearest train station is 9 miles away in Carmarthen. Direct trains from London Paddington, with taxis available from the station.
• National Express stop in Carmarthen with taxis available from the bus station.
• Local Taxi firms include Chris Cars Tel: 01267 234438 and Spikes Taxis Tel: 01267 236405 (other registered Taxis www.taxiregister.com)
• Local bus from Llanybri (1/4 mile) to Carmarthen Town. Runs eight times daily, four times daily on Sunday.
• Nine miles to Carmarthen by car, single track country lanes and B road.
• Many walks for dogs, quiet country lanes, forestry, footpaths, coast path and large sandy beach (no dogs Apr-Oct on main beach, dogs allowed during these restricted months on the up-river area of the beach). Grassed exercise area next to barn, please keep dogs on lead to protect our cattle, neighbours’ sheep, and our free range poultry.
• Mobile reception is patchy. Orange, 3-mobile and Vodafone are sometimes available in the upstairs part of the building (living room).
Arrival and car parking
• Access to the property from the lane, is 100m gravel unmade drive.
• Generous level open parking at rear of property (PIR automatic lighting), 4 meters to the front entrance (gravel surface) with one low plinth and step in to property.
• Stone plinth (5cm high, 70cm deep, 90cm wide) and step(15cm high, 42cm deep) and door width 80cm.
• Pedestrian and vehicle gated alternative entrance to property (drop off only) with ramp (0.3m in 10m slope or 1 in 30) to the kitchen door (96cm wide). The path is concrete and 1.2m wide with 1.2m wide square flat surface in front of door. From the drop off point, the rear of the property, patio and lawn can be access by a level 1.2 m wide path to the patio doors.
• Main entrance, kitchen and patio doors are half glazed, with low level thresholds.
• Entrance hall and corridor is level (narrowest point 120cm) and unobstructed with wooden closed tread stair case and one handrail. Stair gate available by request.
• Heating downstairs is under floor, and upstairs cast iron radiators.
• All plug sockets are 50cm from floor level.
• The floors are tiled, slate flagstones or wooden boards with some removable mats.
Ground floor rooms
• The ground floor hall is tiled, with 2 steps to the open plan kitchen/living/dining area 15cm and 18cm high with tread 52cm deep x 94cm wide. The open plan area has a slate flagstone floor. The downstairs bedroom is level access and has quarry tiles with non slip tiles in the en-suite wet rooms.
• Decoration is neutral in white and cream, with some exposed stone walls and pale/slate grey flooring.
• Interior doors are solid pine with latch and clasp openings.
Ground floor Kitchen, Living and Dining room
• The kitchen, living and dining area are open plan.
• Work surfaces are standard 90cm high, with hob and sink at the same level. The grill/ oven, dishwasher and washer/dryer are below the work surface. The fridge freezer is free standing.
• The sink is a ceramic butler sink with hot and cold lever taps, and a surface top drainer.
• The kettle is cordless, and microwave situated on the work top.
• Lighting is task orientated spots with extra light under the extraction hood.
• The wooden dining table is movable, 76cm high, and chairs are dining style (47cm) without arms.
• Soft furniture is 2 sofas, 4 persons and 2 persons with arm rests and the seat is 38cm high. A riser recliner armchair can be provided.
• TV is digital with remote control.
• A wood burner is situated on one wall, and a fireguard can be provided.
Bedroom Ground floor with en suite wet room
• This twin room has one profiling “craftmatic” bed with pocket mattress which is 46cm high, with a padded material headboard, hypoallergenic duvets and pillows with cotton bedding. The second single bed is wooden framed 52cm high.
•.Fitted shelf with digital TV and remote.
• The wet room door is 82cm wide, with a sink (84cm high) with lever taps and toilet adjacent to each other. The toilet is 43cm high and close coupled, with room for assisted transfers from both sides. There is a a fixed handrail on the wall next to the shower and a free standing toilet frame/commode can be fitted if needed. A pull cord assistance alarm is located next to the toilet with the alert light located in the living area.
• The wet room shower is level across the width of the room, 145cm with adjustable height shower fitting.
• Shower chair and suction handrail are provided.
Bathroom ground floor
• Door width 64cm wide
• The built in shower is on a 16cm plinth, and clear door open to 47cm wide with central rotational taps, and adjustable wall mounted shower attachment. The base measures107cm wide by 78cm deep
• Washbasin with lever taps adjacent to shower.
• Toilet close coupled with room for assisted transfers from both sides. Toilet is 43cm high with heated towel rail fitted to the wall on the left side of the toilet. The towel rail should not be used to assist during transfers.
1st floor room bedrooms (double and twin)
• Access is from closed tread staircase with one handrail on the right hand side.
• Headroom is reduced to 185cm in the double bedroom and ensuite bathroom, due to the cross beam exposed A-frames. The room has sloping ceilings and exposed beams, which reduces standing room at the edges of the rooms to approx 107cm.
• Some walls are exposed stone, all other decoration in neutral tones of white and cream. Doors are solid pine with latch and hasp openings.
• The upstairs rooms are floored with reclaimed solid pine boards with removable rugs in the bedrooms and bath mat in the bathroom.
• The upstairs bedrooms are with fitted individual reading spot lights above the beds. The en-suite bathroom for the double room has level access and is well lit with over sink light and electric shaver point.
• Twin bedroom door 74cm wide, double bedroom door is slightly restricted by the stairs newel post and because of this is effectively reduced to 60cm wide.
• Bedroom 1 (the double) has a double metal frame bed (38cm high) with under bed space, hypoallergenic duvets and pillows with cotton bedding.
• The double bed has access from both sides, with reduced headroom due to low beams on the side of the bed nearest the wall; the velux window has a blind.
• The ensuite bathroom has a bath with handheld overbath shower attachment, washbasin and close coupled toilet. Sink 81cm high and the toilet is 43cm high. The headroom is partially restricted due to the sloping ceiling (see measurements above), the velux window above the bath has a blind.
• Bedroom 2 the twin room has wooden framed beds, with under bed drawers, hypoallergenic duvets and pillows with cotton bedding.
• A picture window with blinds and 2 small low level (non opening) windows with wooden shutters.
• TV on shelf 160cm high with remote control.
Garden and grounds
• The patio is accessed from ground floor kitchen area, with low level threshold double doors, 107cm wide. From patio to lawn has a grass slope to the level lawn area, and there is a level paved path around the building (120cm wide) to access the drop off point.
• The patio is level and paved, with movable wooden garden furniture. Table 75cm high, chairs 46cm high 2 chairs have arms.
• Waist height freestanding gas BBQ.
• The garden area is a level lawn within a walled area with planted borders.
Adjustments to be made/suggestions and feedback
• We are happy to provide any details by phone, post or email, not included in the access statement which may be pertinent to specific needs of our guests.
• This statement was prepared in March 2013.
• We have links with a local registered respite hotel “The Sticks” in Llansteffan and can arrange support workers or carers for our visitors by arrangement. www.stickshotel.org.uk
• We welcome visitors with any type of extra needs, and will strive to inform specific guests, their families, friends and carers of any restrictions that the property, garden and grounds may present to them. We are bound, however by a 300 year old barn constructed in traditional materials which retains many original features, and has several “quirky” characteristics.
• Please be aware that on occasions farming practices such as cultivating, harvesting and hedge cutting may cause some temporary disturbance, and that animals are in most of the fields around us.
• Provided in the cottage are: kitchen roll, 3 new toilet rolls in each bathroom, washing powder, dishwasher tablets, tissues in each room, tin foil, cling film, reusable bags for shopping, baby nappy sacs, wash up liquid, box of dish wash tablets, soap on each sink, several tea towels, hand towel for the kitchen, food bags, tupperware, kitchen and bathroom eco cleaners and beach toys and picnic mat and dog towels. Also basic condiments and sweeteners, soy sauce, herbs, vinegar, sauces such as ketchup, salad cream, and brown sauce.
We have solar thermal panels for hot water and have pledged to reduce plastic as a business.