Cardigan Castle (Castell Aberteifi) is believed to be the first stone castle ever built by a Welshman. To celebrate its completion in 1176, Rhys ap Gruffydd (Lord Rhys) hosted a gathering of bards, musicians and performers: the first Eisteddfod. This was the start of the Welsh tradition of cultural festivals that continues today.
Castle Green House was added in 1808. In 2003 after years of neglect, Ceredigion County Council bought the castle and the campaign to raise funds for renovation began.
In 2015 Cardigan Castle, Castle Green House, the grounds and the new restaurant opened to the public. Visit the beautifully restored Regency gardens, classic Georgian architecture and imposing Medieval defences and enjoy the 21st Century luxury in a site that spans the ages. The castle is open daily but please visit the website to see the list of events taking place throughout the year.
Fancy staying at Cardigan Castle? Gardener's Cottage and The Coach House sleep 2 and East wing sleeps 8, which are all bookable on this website.