Access statement for The Cottage
• Help with luggage on arrival/departure. We can help you to unload and unpack and vice-versa if required. Please let us know in advance if you require this assistance.
• Explaining how to use the cottage equipment. Written instructions are provided, but if the 'small print' is illegible we will be happy to advise you verbally.
• We are on-site and can be contacted with any queries during the course of your stay.
• There are no toilet facilities on the ground floor.
• The family room may be suitable for accompanied wheelchair users who can walk a few steps to access the en-suite bathroom, and can manage stairs during the day to access the bathroom. There are no specialised facilities in the bathroom.
• Wheelchair access from the ground floor to the first floor bathrooms is via the Front door along the level parking area, up a gravel slope (relatively steep) to the level parking area at first floor level. Access to the bathrooms is then via either the family or bunk bedrooms.
Two areas of level parking are provided - outside the front door and on the first floor level outside the family bedroom.
The parking areas are gravel, with a paved patio area by the front door.
The front door is accessed from the level patio area. Access to the kitchen and utility rooms is via the covered porch. The floor of the porch is on two levels, with a very deep but shallow step across the full width of the porch. A temporary ramp can be provided.
External doors vary in width with normal thresholds:
Kitchen - 30"
Utility - 30"
*Front door 37"
*Family room - 32"
*Bunk room - 34"
* Removable ramps can be provided to help negotiate these thresholds.
External lighting is by PIR sensor outside wall lights - one by the front door, one by the family room door, one by the bunk room door. There is a fluorescent light in the 'back' porch. The farmyard is also lit by a sensor floodlight opposite the cottage.
A rechargeable torch is provided in the cottage.
General features and décor
In all rooms the walls contrast well against the carpet, with the exception of the bathrooms which have cream walls and beige/sand vinyl flooring.
All light switches are approx 1m and power points 500mm from floor level.
All internal doors are 30" wide. Latch or other handles contrast well with natural pine doors, and are 1m from floor level.
General lighting throughout the cottage is excellent.
Bedside tables and individually switched bedside lights provided for both double beds; bunk beds have individually switched bulk-head lights over the bedheads.
Lounge/diner is well lit, with moveable seating and space for a wheelchair within the main sitting area. Three (9") steps up to a landing giving access to the main stair case, and via two 6" steps down into the kitchen. No hand rail on the steps between the lounge and the kitchen.
Stairs lead up to the first floor and a small landing. Hand rail on the left. Stairs are 8"h x 31"w x 10.5"d.
From the landing turn left down a shallow step onto the main landing leading to the bunk and double bedrooms, or turn right through doorway on the landing level into the family bedroom.
Both the Double and Bunk bedrooms are relatively compact. The Bunk bedroom has external access and is the Fire Exit for these two rooms. Level external access to patio and parking area in front of the family room. The top bunk bed can be removed to aid access (this must be requested at time of booking). There is an inter-connecting bathroom between the two rooms. Bathroom doors are 29" wide. Wall mounted grab rail to help you get out of the bath.
Family bedroom. Double and bunk beds. Door to en-suite bathroom is 29" wide. Wall mounted grab rail to help you get out of the bath. Separate external access to level parking area.
The cottage has mains smoke detectors that provide an audible alarm in the event of fire.
Please leave the building by the nearest exit and assemble in front of the main Farmhouse. Please close doors behind you.
In the event that one of your party has visual or hearing difficulties please alert them and if possible escort them out of the building.
Assistance dogs are welcome at no additional charge. Please let us know that you are bringing an assistance dog.
While we are aware that most assistance dogs are extremely well-behaved, we must draw to your attention to our requirements in relation to any dog staying here.
All dogs must sleep in their own beds on the floor and are not allowed on beds, chairs, and other furnishings. They must be kept under control indoors and kept on a lead when outdoors except when we specifically indicate that you may allow your dog to run free in a specified field. This is for your dog's safety and to avoid 'worrying' any of the farm animals. If you require help to walk your assistance dog, we will be pleased to provide this.
Guests will be liable for the full cost of any damage caused by their assistance dog.
If you need any further information, please contact us.