Access statement for Bwthyn Creigiau
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Bwthyn Creigiau is ideal for those who want a peaceful holiday in the countryside in a beautiful garden surrounds. Carmarthen Town is 5 miles inland and Llansteffan beach is 4 miles away. There are quiet country lanes and bridle paths in the immediate locality for walks and cycling. The cottage is located off a hill with a gradual approach.
Bwthyn Creigiau sleeps up to 6 people and has 3 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms are on the ground floor with adjacent bath/shower rooms, the 3rd bedroom is in the converted roof space and accessible via the stairs. Both bath and shower room have level entrance, the bathroom has been designed to be wheelchair accessible.
The cottage, which has been converted from outbuildings, is adjacent to our main residence. The property dates back to 1780 when originally it would have been a working farm. Much work has taken place to create a peaceful holiday experience; over 2500 herbaceous plants have been planted with a sensory garden, wild meadow and orchard.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone or email.
We can provide details and directions on how to reach us on request. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is SA33 5AY to get directions.
• The nearest railway station is Carmarthen which is 6 miles away. Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see contact information for details.
• The nearest bus stop 'Manie Farm Llangain' is at the top of the lane where it meets the Llansteffan Road B4312, this 0.9 of a mile from the property. There is not a shelter at this stop. The 227 bus is a regular service between Carmarthen and Llansteffan and beyond, operator’s time table can be viewed on their website ‘www.morristravel.co.uk’. Travel by car is the most convenient option and recommended for ease of access and to fully appreciate the surrounding area.
• Basic shopping can be arranged before arrival, please let us know your requirements at least 14 days before arrival in advance.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
• The key can be collected from the owner's property Creigiau Bach, which is adjacent to the cottage. Help with luggage can be arranged in advance if required.
• Parking is available for 2 cars, this is a level firm gravel surface designed to be wheelchair friendly. It leads onto a paved patio to the front door of the cottage. The entrance is 20m from the parking area. There is no dropped kerb.
• This area is well lit at night by motion sensor lights.
Entrance to Property
• The front door is a clear opening of 790mm with canopy above
• The threshold is level with a maximum 15mm rise at the base of the door
• The entrance is well lit by a motion sensor light.
• The floor covering inside the entrance is a tiled floor.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
• The entrance/boot room is well lit with ceiling lights.
• The floor covering is tiled.
• This area has 3 doors leading off to the small shower room, the king size bed room and entrance to the lounge/kitchen area.
• All 3 doors have 790mm clear opening.
• The stairs from the sitting room/lounge lead up to a twin bedded room, there are 11 steps in total which are of an uncovered wood construction. The first 3 steps lead to lower landing area then 5 steps to the upper landing, a further 3 steps through a 720mm wide door way to the bedroom.
• There is a handrail to the one side of the staircase.
• There is a short corridor from the sitting room/lounge which has door 800mm wide, the corridor is 980mm wide, this leads to the bathroom & twin bedroom.
• All rooms are on one level with no steps other than the upstairs bedroom.
• All areas are well lit with a mixture of natural and ceiling lights.
• The sitting room/lounge is situated on the ground floor with level entry from the hallway.
• The floor has porcelain tiles. The room has a mixture of seating with sofas and soft chairs with non-feather cushions and a slightly raised seating position, together with a nest of tables.
• Furniture can be moved.
• There is a 32" LED flat screen digital television with hard drive recorder, remote control, subtitles, and a DVD player.
• There is ample ceiling, wall and table lighting, the area is well lit with 3 large double French doors, 2 to the front and 1 to the rear. The rear French doors have a level threshold to the external pathway, if required.
• The dining area and lounge are within the same room with an open plan design, the kitchen/dining area is at the entrance end of the room.
• The dining table (moveable side to side) has legs on each corner, 625mm from floor to lowest point of table (under space) and is 790mm high.
• There is free space around the table.
• Chairs (all moveable) – 4 wooden chairs with cushions if required, chairs have no arms, 2 fold away chairs and 2 padded adjustable bar stools.
• The kitchen area is located with the same room as the lounge area but to one end. The area is well lit with ample natural lighting.
• The work surfaces are an L shape 2800mmx600mm wide by 3000mmx900mm wide - this section has a breakfast bar to one side and end.
• Within the shorter length is the built in low level oven with pop out analogue dials and LED temp/timer display. The hob and extractor are directly above with analogue and push button controls. The hob has halogen electric plates. Electrical sockets are on the wall to the side of the hob and on the side wall for easier access.
• There are storage cupboards either side of the extractor, items can be lowered to the cupboards either side of the oven.
• Adjacent to this area is a large sink with lever handles, storage cupboards are below, to the right of this is the built in dishwasher and to the side of this is the built in washing machine.
• On the opposite wall there are tall storage cupboards, with shelving at high and low level. The distribution board is located to the left at 1100mm above floor, there is a built in tumble dryer at low level, and a fridge freezer, the small freezer is below and fridge above, lowest shelf is 650mm above floor level and highest 1950mm.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
• There is a double bedroom off the entrance hallway, door is 790mm wide. The bed is king size with access from 3 sides, narrowest point is 830 mm. There are bedside tables with table lamps, a large wardrobe with draws below. There is a Velux roof window giving natural daylight and 2 sash windows at low level with opening restrictors and fly screens.
• At the opposite end of the building is the twin room with 790mm wide doorway. There is plenty of room (1700mm dia) for wheel chair maneuvering. Beds are 900mm wide (3ft), access to both beds is centrally to one side each bed (850mm gap). The bed side table is also located at the head between the beds, with table lamp. Sash windows at both ends of the room 900mm above floor level, with opening restrictors and fly screens. Both windows have blackout roller blinds with safety cords. There is a large wardrobe with drawers below, full height mirror is located behind the door. There is also a dressing table with adjustable mirror and draws.
• Both the above rooms have tiled floors with level entrance access and ceiling lighting.
• Access to the upstairs room is via the non-covered timber staircase 750mm wide onto the upper landing, through a 720mm doorway and up 3 more steps to the bedroom. There is restricted headroom in this area with slanting roof to both sides. Centre of the room, from the doorway is the highest point at 1960mm. There are 2, 3ft single beds with access centrally; both beds have side tables and lamps. There are 4 recessed spots down the centre of the room. Both Velux windows with blackouts are of the emergency type that can open fully hinged from one end or centrally. There is a small wardrobe and 4 draw chest of draws with adjustable mirror.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
There are 2 shower rooms both are next to the ground floor bedrooms, the shower room next to the twin bedroom is as follows:
• Step free 765mm sliding door entrance.
• Anti-slip wet room flooring with large shower area (1500mm diameter) turning area.
• Shower seat where required.
• Vertical and horizontal drab rails around the shower.
• Small corner bath (more suited to a child rather than adult) with lever operated taps.
• Toilet 400mm high with push button flush, horizontal grab rail to the side.
• Wash basin 800mm high with pedestal.
• Well lit with overhead lights and fluorescent light over mirror.
• Bathroom cupboard with shelves from 900mm from floor level.
The second shower room is next to the double bedroom off the entrance hall, details as follows:
• Tiled floor with level entrance, doorway 720mm wide.
• The room is 'compact' and not suitable for wheel chair access.
• Shower is 900mm quadrant type with glass enclosure.
• Corner toilet 400mm high.
• Small hand basin with lever tap.
• Area is well lit with a light tunnel for natural daylight and ceiling spot lights.
• Large mirror over basin with fluorescent light.
• We have a large paved patio area to the end of the property with table and chairs and sun shade.
• The large herbaceous garden area is accessed via 2 steps from the parking area. This is accessible by a wheel chair but would require assistance. The gravel pathway runs the full length of the garden with a bench to the one end.
• There are raised beds running parallel with the cottage accessible from the gravel drive way, this also overlooks the orchard and wild meadow.
• A sensory garden has also been created which has a paved path through, this again is accessible from the gravel drive way.
• Trained assistance dogs are welcome.
• All areas in the cottage have good colour contrast between the floor, doors and walls. Generally, doors and doorframes are oak wood finish and walls are light in colour.
• The mobile phone reception can be poor.
• The nearest General Hospital with an A&E unit and walk in NHS is 7 miles away and the nearest Doctor’s surgery is 5 mile away. Further information is in the welcome folder.
• There is also a list of nearby attractions and details of their Access Statements for information, where available.
• We have several ponds in an adjacent field which we plan at some point to make accessible for visitors. This will require a board walk and hard path areas which at the moment is restricted by funds.
• We will be joining the National Accessible Scheme to gain a rating for those people with limited mobility and hearing and visual impairments.
Local Equipment Hire
TCL Mobility Centre,
28 Blue Street,
Telephone: 01267 223606
Eco friendly features
The cottage was built to a code 3 standard which means it had to be 20% better insulated than current best practice. The result is that less heating is required thus CO2 emissions are reduced. Triple glazing has also been used to minimise heat loss. The property is heated via a ground source heat pump - there is 400m of pipe 1m below ground level in the next field, this energy is used to heat water via a heat exchanger for the underfloor heating and hot water. Solar PV panels generate electricity to run the heat pump meaning zero carbon emissions for heating and hot water generation.
We also recycled materials onsite during the build where possible. For example, an oak tree that had to be felled was sawn and used for the oak beams in the cottage.
We recycle all waste in line with council requirements plus we have composting facilities. All the cleaning products we use are eco friendly due to the use of a septic tank.